Tuesday 16 November 2010

Mr. Quixote de la Stain?

Is Spanglish really an idioma? I certainly use it often. Especially when I cannot think of a word in English to describe what I think. I use it all the time in Spanish to say what I don't yet know how to say in that language. Because there are so many migrant populations in the U.S. that speak Spanish, we now have a new language: Spanglish. Here in Spain, this may seem like a joke but in the U.S. it is slowly becoming a real language that is spoken everyday. In a Mexican restaurant near my house in Denver, I often hear the phrase, "Uy, ese va a ser mi lunch!" or "tienes un lighter?".
A professor of language, Ilán Stavans, has even translated the Quixote into Spanglish. He claims that Spanglish will soon become a definable language. This is the first translation of a text into Spanglish. It contains sentences like: "In un placete de La Mancha of which nombre no quiero remembrearme, vivía, not so long ago, uno de esos gentlemen who always tienen una lanza in the rack, una buckler antigua, a skinny caballo y un grayhound para el chase." What do you think? Is this crazy or cool? Check out the whole first chapter on this website: http://www.cuadernoscervantes.com/art_40_quixote.html.
¡Que enjoy this página!

No comments:

Post a Comment